Fee Protection Scheme (FPS)
The Fee Protection Scheme (FPS) is an initiative by the Committee of Private Education (CPE) of Singapore to protect unconsumed fees paid by students in the event the private education institution (PEI) is unable to continue operation due to insolvency, and/or regulatory closure. FPS applies to all courses with duration more than one month or 50 hours.
The FPS also protects students, if the private education institution fails to pay penalties or return fees to the students arising from judgment made against it by the Singapore courts. The FPS is applicable to all students regardless of nationality and the type of passes held by the students, i.e. dependent’s pass, student’s pass, work permit etc.
What is covered under FPS?
All fees refer to all monies paid by the students to be enrolled in a private education institution, excluding the course application fee, agent commission fee (if applicable), miscellaneous fees (non-compulsory and non-standard fee paid only when necessary or where applicable, for example, the re-exam fee or charges for credit card payment etc,) and GST.
The Fee Protection Scheme insurance offers insured students protection against the following events:
- Loss of tuition fees paid in advance by the insured student to ACC and not refunded, if the student cannot start or complete his/her course as a result of ACC becoming insolvent or being required by the Singapore authorities to stop operations.
- ACC failure to pay sum awarded by Singapore Courts to the insured student, where sucsh award relates to a dispute between ACC and the insured student on tuition fees paid by the insured student to ACC
- S$10,000 benefit payable covering the insured student’s accidental death or total permanent disability by accident.
The Institute has appointed FPS provider Lonpac Insurance Bhd, an insurance provider approved by CPE.
Policy Number: Z/18/BM00/000694
Period of Insurance: 25 May 2018 to 24 May 2019
Details of FPS
- The insurance coverage period starts from the day of course fees is paid to ACC Institute of Human Services and not from course commencement date, till the end of the course or end of duration based on course fees paid.
- A Certificate of Insurance will be issued to the student directly via e-mail by our FPS provider within 7 working days of the student paying the course fees to ACC Institute of Human Services.
- When students receive the Certificate of Insurance from the FPS Provider, the student must check that the following information are correct:
- Course title
- Amount insured
- Period of coverage
Students are required to pay S$20 or 2% of the total course fees, whichever higher. This amount is not transferable. All payments are to be made directly to ACC Institute of Human Services upon the student’s enrolment. Currently, the FPS fee is waived by the ACC Institute of Human Services for a limited time.