Specialist Certificate in Practical Counselling
Introduction to the Programme
“We have to admit that our lifestyle now has been affecting our health, may it be physically, emotionally and mentally. Due to the stress in all aspect of our lives, people have less time to take care of their emotional needs. Often times, we are left to ignore this part because we become too focus on what we think is more important. But in order to survive and live a somewhat ideal life, we need to find venue to let out our issues and learn how to manage it.
In recent statistics done by the Institute of mental Health in the year 2011, the figure of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder would be one in 33 people. The study also found that 12% of people here will have some kind of mental disorder in their lifetime. For most, mental illness will hit by the time they are 29 years old. Intervene now before it is too late.”
The Specialist Certificate in Practical Counselling is designed to help people gain practical skills on how to do counselling. This is will enable them to have a better understanding of themselves so that they can learn to help themselves and others in times of need.
The programme has been designed for:
- Participants who have no experience in counselling but are willing to gain a basic entry qualification to professional counselling.
- Professionals who wish to develop counselling skills and knowledge for application in their work areas such as in health, social services, education, customer service, human resource and supervisory work settings.
The programme provides participants with:
- A professional basic entry qualification to counselling
- Opportunities for personal growth
- Acquisition of crucial interpersonal skills and related knowledge
- A basic level of knowledge about major approaches to counselling and psychotherapy
- Training in basic counselling skills and practice
The Specialist Certificate in Children & Youth Counselling aims to equip the individual with the know-how of detection and assessment of children & at-risk youths through gaining an appreciation and awareness of the dynamics that lie beyond the delinquency of a child (i.e. the child’s personality, the family, peer group pressures, socioeconomic issues of poverty and minority status).
The programme integrates the 3 areas salient to counsellor training programmes:
- Personal growth
- Skills in counselling.
- Focus on developing counsellor awareness including:
- How the student’s interpersonal style affects the counselling process
- Students will be taught to reflect and learn from their training experiences
Teaching and Assessment
The programme will be delivered through lectures, group discussions, practical demonstrations, video presentations, practical and experiential exercises, case studies, and role-plays. Students will be assessed through written assignments, projects, oral presentations, and videotaped counselling project/examination.
The lecturer-student ratio is set at 1:25 to ensure optimum teaching, learning and sharing between the lecturer and students.
The module consists of 12 sessions of lectures with assignments.
Contact Hours: 36 hours
Each classroom session is 3 hours, held twice a week.
To be eligible for admission to the course, applicants must fulfil the following conditions:
- ‘O’ Level holders
- Be at least 18 years of age
- Mature applicants not meeting the admission requirements are invited to apply as the program recognises relevant life experiences that students bring with them
- Application will be considered on a case-by-case basis; in some circumstances, interview might be needed
- Mr Tan Choon Hooi, Klein
- Ms Karen Sciberras
- Mdm Tan Lay Geok
Click here to view the lecturers’ profile
Upon successfully completing the course, the ACC School of Counselling and Psychology will award students with a Specialist Certificate in Practical Counselling.
Fees and Charges
Fees are payable to: ACC Institute of Human Services Pte. Ltd.
|Total after GST||$1,912.09|
|Total Before GST||$1,787.00|
*Textbooks not included.
We do not accept Cash over the counter. You may however do a bank transfer or bank deposit and forward the proof of your deposit to us at email@example.com. Please call us at 6339 5411 for the bank details.
Payment Option 1:
Lump sum payment by Cheque, Nets or Credit Card.
Payment Option 2:
0% interest free instalment plan with selected merchant banks
Request for eBrochure and View Upcoming Preview Dates
Keen to find out more? Please provide us with your name, email and contact number. We will email you the module details and enrolment form. You can also view our free upcoming preview/information sessions where you will be able to find out more about our courses.
Thank you and we wish you good success!