Specialist Diploma in Applied Psychology
Introduction to the Programme
The programme has been designed for:
- Participants with the aspirations of becoming psychologists or psychology-related works
- Professionals who wish to improve their skills in their current work areas such as in pre-schools, primary and secondary schools, health and social services etc.
- Enthusiastic adults who are interested in psychology for their personal growth
The programme provides participants with:
- The core concept of psychology theories with in-depth grounding of the main foundational components in psychology
- Examples of case studies to integrate theories with applications
- An understanding of the ethical and professional issues and consideration of the cultural issues will be discussed
What will you learn?
The lecturer-student ratio is set at 1:25 to ensure optimum teaching, learning and sharing between the lecturer and students.
There are a total of 7 modules. Each module has 9 sessions including an examination.
Contact hours: 189 hours
Total Duration: 9 months
Each classroom session is 3 hours, held twice a week.
To be eligible for admission to the course, applicants must fulfil the following conditions:
- Diploma holders in any field
- Be at least 18 years of age
- Mature applicants not meeting the admission requirements are invited to apply as the program recognises relevant life experiences that students bring with them
- Application will be considered on a case-by-case basis; in some circumstances, interview might be needed
- History of Psychology
- Brain and Behaviour
- States of Consciousness
- Sensation and Perception
- Memory, Thinking and Intelligence
- Emotion and Motivation
- Psychological Disorders
- Introduction and Prenatal Development
- Infancy and Early Childhood
- Middle Childhood
- Late Adulthood
- Personal Perception, Self
- Social Cognition, Attitudes
- Social Influence, Prejudice
- Interpersonal Attraction, Personal Relationships
- Group Behaviour and Gender
- Helping Behaviour and Aggression
- Grief and Loss
- Self-esteem Issues
- Addiction Issues
- Relationship Issues
Module Description: This unit introduces common problem areas that clients may present in counselling. Topics covered are stress, anxiety, depression, grief and loss, self-esteem issues, addiction issues, relationship issues and trauma. These specific client issues will be incorporated within the overall counselling model and process. Professional and ethical issues in counselling will be further addressed in this unit especially in relation to the specific client issues.
Total Number of Hours: 36 hours
Assessment Method: 3 assignments
- Perception and Attention
- Sensory Memory, Short-Term Memory and Working Memory
- Long-Term Memory, Everyday Memory and Memory Errors
- Visual Imagery
- Problem Solving
- Reasoning and Decision-Making
- Anxiety Disorders and Somatoform Disorders
- Mood Disorders and Suicide
- Eating and Sleep Disorders
- Substance Related and Impulse-Control Disorders
- Personality Disorders and Schizophrenia
- Development and Cognitive Disorders
- Research Techniques Observation & Correlation
- Research Techniques Experiments
- Ethics In Psychology Research
- How to Read and Write Research Reports
- Application on Research
- Ms Jane Eirene Santos-Kwok
- Ms Eng Kai Jun, Jovie
Click here to view the lecturers’ profile
Student must achieve at least 75% attendance for all modules and a minimum passing mark of 50 for all assignments to be awarded the Specialist Diploma in Applied Psychology.
Fees and Charges
Fees are payable to: ACC Institute of Human Services Pte. Ltd.
|Total after GST||$5,029.00|
|Total Before GST||$4,700.00|
*Textbooks not included.
Please be informed that the school will not collect one-time payment for this programme. Students will pay accordingly to the 2 instalments as seen below:
We do not accept Cash over the counter. You may however do a bank transfer or bank deposit and forward the proof of your deposit to us at courses @acc.edu.sg. Please call us at 6339 5411 for the bank details.
Payment Option 1:
Payment by Cheque, Nets or Credit Card.
Payment Option 2:
0% interest free instalment plan with selected merchant banks