Specialist Diploma in Teaching And Supporting Children With Special Needs
This Specialist Diploma in Teaching and Supporting Children with Special Needs will help participants gain insights and understanding about children with special needs such as Autism, Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD), Asperger’s Disorder, Dyslexia, Language Disorders, Down’s Syndrome, Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder, Anxiety, Depression and many more. Besides being suitable for professionals who work with children with special needs, this diploma also caters to parents or caregivers who have no prior experience in managing or caring for children with special needs.
- Interested people with the aspirations of becoming educators for children with special needs
- Professionals who wish to improve their skills in working with children with special needs in their work areas such as in pre-schools, primary and secondary schools, health and social services.
- Responsive parents and adults who have no experience in caring for children with special needs
- An entry level qualification in teaching children with special needs
- A well-developed knowledge of child behavior particularly for those who require special attention
- A scientific overview of the different types of necessity in order to develop the uniqueness of each individual child
- Provide a basic knowledge in identifying and empathizing with children focusing on supporting their special needs
- Provide training in working with children with special needs using well-rounded methods
- Familiarize each participant with the importance of understanding emotional and behavioral problems of childhood
- Introduce the ethical issues behind the intervention and strategies for supporting children with special needs
The programme will be delivered through lectures, group discussions, practical demonstrations, video presentations, practical and experiential exercises, case studies, and role-plays. Students will be assessed through written assignments, projects, oral presentations, and videotaped counselling project/examination.
The lecturer-student ratio is set at 1:25 to ensure optimum teaching, learning and sharing between the lecturer and students.
There are a total of 4 modules with assignments. Each module consists of 8 sessions.
Number of Modules: 4 modules, each with assignments
Contact Hours: 96 hours
Total Duration: 6 months
Each classroom session is 3 hours, held twice a week.
Student must achieve at least 75% attendance for all modules and a minimum passing mark of 50 for all assignments to be awarded the Specialist Diploma in Teaching And Supporting Children With Special Needs.
To be eligible for admission to the course, applicants must fulfil the following conditions:
- Diploma holders in any field
- Be at least 18 years of age
- Mature applicants not meeting the admission requirements are invited to apply as the program recognises relevant life experiences that students bring with them
- Application will be considered on a case-by-case basis; in some circumstances, interview might be needed
- Introduction to the theories of development
- Early Life and Its Effects on Childhood
- Physical Development
- Cognitive Development and Moral Development
- Socio-Emotional Development
- Psycho-sexual Development
- Language Development
- Introduction to Developmental and Learning Disabilities
- Autism Spectrum Disorder
- Attention-Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder
- Sensory Processing Disorder
- Learning Disabilities I
- Learning Disabilities II
- Eating Disorders in Childhood
- Aggression and Conduct Disorders
- Self-Injurious Behaviours
- Childhood Depression
- Anxiety Disorders
- Child Abuse and Trauma
- Childhood Schizophrenia
- Parents and Teachers
- Expressive Therapies
- Cognitive Therapies
- Behaviour Therapies
- Special Education Class
- Interventions for Specific Cases (Autism and ADHD)
- Interventions for Specific Cases (Dyslexia and Dyscalculia)
Fees and Charges
Fees are payable to: ACC Institute of Human Services Pte. Ltd.
For a limited time, enjoy the school fees of $2632.20! Subjected to terms and conditions. Valid until January 2019 only.
|Total after GST||$4,130.20|
|Total Before GST||$3,860.00|
*Textbooks not included.
We do not accept Cash over the counter. You may however do a bank transfer or bank deposit and forward the proof of your deposit to us at courses @acc.edu.sg. Please call us at 6339 5411 for the bank details.
Payment Option 1:
Lump sum payment by Cheque, Nets or Credit Card.
Payment Option 2:
0% interest free instalment plan with selected merchant banks
Request for eBrochure and View Upcoming Preview Dates
Keen to find out more? Please provide us with your name, email and contact number. We will email you the module details and enrolment form. You can also view our free upcoming preview/information sessions where you will be able to find out more about our courses.
Thank you and we wish you good success!