Specialist Diploma in Teaching And Supporting Children With Special Needs
This Specialist Diploma in Teaching and Supporting Children with Special Needs will help participants gain insights and understanding about children with special needs such as Autism, Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD), Asperger’s Disorder, Dyslexia, Language Disorders, Down’s Syndrome, Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder, Anxiety, Depression and many more.
Besides being suitable for professionals who work with children with special needs, this diploma also caters to parents or caregivers who have no prior experience in managing or caring for children with special needs.
New! During the course of studies, students can opt in for volunteer attachments at selected therapy centres where they will interact with children and youths with special needs. More information provided below.
Join our classes for a trial lesson! You can attend 1 lesson of the ongoing morning or evening class and experience the lesson for yourself. Contact us via email or Whatsapp to register now.
“This learning experience has been beneficial and helpful. I am enthusiastic to learn about learning and developmental disorder of the students I teach. Looking forward, I could use this skill to help more children and advance my career.” – MP, 2019
“I gained from the class sharing and dialogue. I enjoy the collaboration amongst team members for the oral presentation. We learned from each other and as a team. The project really helped us to gain deeper understanding on the effective use of interventions and practices.” – ES, 2019
“The lecturer is by far, one of the most qualified, most engaging, concerned lecturer that I have met. She is engaging, professional and is very experienced. You can sense how concern she is about our learning and teach us with great passion. I appreciate her efforts for bringing her therapy tools that she uses in her private setting. She is constantly trying to explain and help us understand the lessons. I enjoy her lessons a lot.” – FF, 2020
“The lecturer is always available to answer questions, and provide much support for our preparation for assignments and exams.
She is easy to get along and connects very well with the students. Mostly, she always go all out to enrich our learning experience and share her resources and advice in the industry generously with us! 👍👍👍” – WM, 2020
“The rooms are conducive for learning. The lighting, furnitures and AC were commendable. The attitude and welcoming smiles of the student team is very much appreciated.” – MP, 2019
- Interested people with the aspirations of becoming educators for children with special needs
- Professionals who wish to improve their skills in working with children with special needs in their work areas such as in pre-schools, primary and secondary schools, health and social services.
- Responsive parents and adults who have no experience in caring for children with special needs
- An entry level qualification in teaching children with special needs
- A well-developed knowledge of child behavior particularly for those who require special attention
- A scientific overview of the different types of necessity in order to develop the uniqueness of each individual child
- Provide a basic knowledge in identifying and empathizing with children focusing on supporting their special needs
- Provide training in working with children with special needs using well-rounded methods
- Familiarize each participant with the importance of understanding emotional and behavioral problems of childhood
- Introduce the ethical issues behind the intervention and strategies for supporting children with special needs
The programme will be delivered through lectures, group discussions, practical demonstrations, video presentations, practical and experiential exercises, case studies, and role-plays. Students will be assessed through written assignments, projects, oral presentations, and videotaped counselling project/examination.
The lecturer-student ratio is set at 1:25 to ensure optimum teaching, learning and sharing between the lecturer and students.
There are a total of 4 modules with assignments. Each module consists of 8 sessions.
Number of Modules: 4 modules, each with assignments
Contact Hours: 96 hours
Total Duration: 6 months
Each classroom session is 3 hours, held twice a week.
Student must achieve at least 75% attendance for all modules and a minimum passing mark of 50 for all assignments to be awarded the Specialist Diploma in Teaching And Supporting Children With Special Needs.
To be eligible for admission to the course, applicants must fulfil the following conditions:
- Diploma holders in any field
- Be at least 18 years of age
- Mature applicants not meeting the admission requirements are invited to apply as the program recognises relevant life experiences that students bring with them
- Application will be considered on a case-by-case basis; in some circumstances, interview might be needed
- Introduction to the theories of development
- Early Life and Its Effects on Childhood
- Physical Development
- Cognitive Development and Moral Development
- Socio-Emotional Development
- Psycho-sexual Development
- Language Development
- Introduction to Developmental and Learning Disabilities
- Autism Spectrum Disorder
- Attention-Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder
- Sensory Processing Disorders
- Specific Learning Disorders
- Speech and Language Disorders
- Eating Disorders in Childhood
- Aggression and Conduct Disorders
- Self-Injurious Behaviours
- Childhood Depression
- Anxiety Disorders
- Child Abuse and Trauma
- Childhood Schizophrenia
- Parents and Teachers
- Expressive Therapies
- Cognitive Therapies
- Behaviour Therapies
- Special Education Class
- Interventions for Specific Cases (Autism and ADHD)
- Interventions for Specific Cases (Dyslexia and Dyscalculia)
Please note that as we are still in Phase One of post-Circuit Breaker, all attachments are suspended for now and will resume only at a later stage. Students can embark on the course first and do their attachment at a later date.
As part of ACC’s commitment to ensuring that students gain practicable knowledge and skills during their course of studies with us, ACC is now offering optional volunteer attachment for our students.
Students must have successfully completed at least 2 out of the 4 modules before they apply for the volunteer attachment slots. Most slots require students to commit once a week, for about 3 hours per session.
Contact hours: Minimum of 20 hours
Non-contact hours: 9 hours
*Supervision hours: 5 hours
*Students will meet their lecturer for group supervision every 2-3 contact hours completed. This will enable them to discuss and reflect on what they have experienced and learnt, and how they can become more effective in the subsequent sessions.
**Do note that students will need to formally submit their applications for this attachment to the Student Care Department. If required, students will be required to go for interviews with the host organisations. Slots are subject to availability.
Fees and Charges
Fees are payable to: ACC Institute of Human Services Pte. Ltd.
Without Bursary and Funding
|Total Before GST||$5,560.00|
|Total after GST||$5,949.20|
With Bursary and Funding
|Shepherd Bursary Award^||-$800.00|
|Total Before GST||$4,760.00|
|Total after GST||$5093.20|
|Total after use of $500 Skillsfuture Credits#||$4,593.20|
*Textbooks not included.
^Subject to approval of the Shepherd Bursary Award Application
#Depends on how much Skillsfuture Credits the individual has and wishes to use to offset the course fees
We do not accept Cash over the counter. You may however do a bank transfer or bank deposit and forward the proof of your deposit to us at courses @acc.edu.sg. Please call us at 6339 5411 for the bank details.
Payment Option 1:
Lump sum payment by Cheque, Nets or Credit Card.
Payment Option 2:
0% interest free installment plan with selected merchant banks
Payment Option 3:
In-house installment plan where there is a $50 administrative fee for each installment payment after the initial payment. The installment plan only applies to the course fees.
For example, if you plan to opt for 3 installment payments for this with the bursary, the installment plan would be:
|First Payment (Before Course Start Date)||Course Fee ($1500.00) + Registration Fee ($60.00) + Bursary Application Fee ($100.00)||$1,660.00|
|Second Payment (2 Months after Course Start Date)||Course Fee ($1500.00) + Installment Admin Fee ($50.00)||$1,550.00|
|Last Payment (4 Months after Course Start Date)||Course Fee ($1500.00) + Installment Admin Fee ($50.00)||$1,550.00|
|Total Before GST||$4,760.00|
|Total after GST||$5,079.20|
We are proud to have many students graduate from our course with many of them kickstarting their careers in special needs education. Some of them have taken on roles such as
- Behaviour Therapist
- Founder / Principal
- Special Needs Educator
- Teaching Assistant
- Traning Officer
Request for eBrochure and View Upcoming Preview Dates
Keen to find out more? Please provide us with your name, email and contact number. We will email you the module details and enrolment form. You can also view our free upcoming preview/information sessions where you will be able to find out more about our courses.
Thank you and we wish you good success!
Study Mode: Part-time only
Duration: 6 months
Modules: 4 modules, each with 8 lessons
New! Opportunities for volunteer attachments at selected therapy centres
Got a Question?
Fill in the form below and we’ll respond as soon as we can.